Monday, April 4, 2011

Stovetop . . . no, I do not mean stuffing!

old fashioned coil electric stovetop
I grew up using gas stovetops and felt their advantage of controlling the flame made them the best choice for cooking. I can not even remember why I bought an electric cooktop stove years ago, but I adjusted my cooking habits and had few problems. At the time, I also looked at the induction style and loved the features, but not the price! I inherited the electric cooktop in my current home . . . the old coil type and I do not even know if there is a gas line connection behind the cabinet.

The induction cooktops have come down a bit in price and I am taking a closer look as I research appliance replacements for my kitchen remodel. Induction Cooking: Pros and Cons has an extensive discussion of this type of cooking. Although obviously slanted toward induction, the article does thoroughly explain the technology. eHow Food also has an excellent comparison of Induction Cooktop Vs. Electric Cooktop with other related articles and videos. 

LG Induction Cooktop

4 comments:

  1. Not that I cook anymore anyway, but I really don't like electric stoves. I would much rather cook on a gas stove. I had to cook on an electric one in college and never really adjusted very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, like Claire,I'm also a gas fan! I've heard that the surface of the induction stoves can get scratched. However, it also looks easy to clean. If you have a gas dryer in a laundry room near by the kitchen, you may be able to run a line. (This is depending on if you have a basement, slab or crawlspace)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really liked the gas as I have a fear of fire(we all have something right?) We have the induction style and I love it, easy to clean and we have not had problems with scratching. I hated having to clean the burners and underneath them. I vote for induction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue: You are really doing your homework before renovating your kitchen. You are so thorough. I don't know enough about ovens to vote, but I know you will have the most carefully designed kitchen in America.

    ReplyDelete