Monday, March 28, 2011

Buy new appliances?

Since the stovetop and hood are original to the 70’s, that is a no-brainer (and did I remind you that it is Harvest Gold?). Yes, I do have a hang up there! The double oven, refrigerator, and dishwasher came with the townhouse and it does not make sense to keep appliances that are at least 10 years old and not as energy efficient as current models. 

Last week when I was considering the layout, I realized that the appliances I choose will dictate the space allotted for cabinetry. If I choose a different style sink and a smaller 24-inch dishwasher, I can install a cabinet with a turntable to access the previously wasted corner space. Join me this week as I consider appliances. I appreciate your shared experiences, comments, and suggestions!

6 comments:

  1. I think you would do fine with a smaller dishwasher in order to accomodate a turn table cabinet. Wasted space is annoying, so I vote you change the sink and downsize the dishwasher accordingly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you consulted Lowes or Home Depot. I would think they'd have a program where you can virtually design your kitchen.

    It's wise to get your appliances first, then work the cabinets around them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annoying is not the exact word(s) I use . . . every time I see that corner I grit my teeth!

    I checked the Lowe's site and downloaded their planner to avoid the stress of the in store consultation at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also vote for down sizing to the smaller dishwasher. I only seem to need to run ours about twice a week with just myself and my husband at home now. I'm also a Home Depot fan. I used to wear the orange apron when I was between teaching jobs. I worked in the kitchen and bath department. With my art background, customers would come for advise on matching cabinets, counters and flooring. I hope you are not still gritting your teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a smaller dishwasher is obviously the best choice. How much do you cook? There is your answer. LOL. Go for the turn table! What color of cabinets are you looking for ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay Jenn, don't give my secrets away! Heck, if I had time I might surprise myself. Once upon a time . . . I also have all those cookbooks that need to be put to a good use.

    ReplyDelete