Wednesday, March 9, 2011

a chronicle . . .

As I near the end of my Lesley Master's program, I am anticipating beginning projects that have been on hold for the last eighteen months. Remodeling my kitchen will be the first task I undertake. A relic of the '70's, a popular color of the period, Harvest Gold, is highlighted on the the stovetop and hood. Removing all the cabinets and appliances will provide a clean canvas for designing a contemporary workspace. Since I am known to be  design-challenged, I will enlist the designing and remodeling skills of a talented friend and the brute strength of her husband and son. The Kitchen Quest blog will chronicle the research and planning for the project, which I will begin in June.

4 comments:

  1. Sue,
    Renovating and remodeling is such a delicious challenge. The angst about the cost and unexpected glitches is tempered by the anticipation of a new creation. I am so happy for you. When this class is over, and things settle down, maybe I can help if you need a hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have such fun! I redid my kitchen about 7 years ago. I put in new cabinets, lights, and a trash compactor which is the greatest! I tiled my backsplash and did a mosaic design. I suggest looking at many magazines for ideas and talking to many people to find out what they like about their kitchen the most. My house is old so I didn't have room for an island but I really wanted one. Have fun. Make sure you take plenty of photos of before and after. This blog will be perfect for your kitchen challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also been thinking about all the things I'll do when I'm done with my master's. Remodeling a kitchen will be a big task, but it should be fun figuring out all the design elements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I redid our kitchen in 2007. We STILL love it and really enjoy cooking together now. Our old kitchen was just plain wrong for 2 cooks! We have a tiny counter bar-like area that works for coffee together on weekend mornings, and a place for a guest to sit while we prepare meals.

    ReplyDelete